In 1949, when the university was founded, the Department of Telecommunication Engineering and the Department of Electrical Engineering were established. Academician Bi Dexian, a famous expert in electronic Telecommunications engineering, served as the head of the two departments. In 1952, the national universities were adjusted. The Department of Telecommunication Engineering was transferred to the PLA Telecommunications engineering College, and the Department of Electrical Engineering was transferred to the Northeast Institute of Technology. In 1956, the Department of Electromechanical Engineering was established and led by Academician Wang Zhongtuo, a national famous control theory scholar, the Department of Electrification of Industrial Enterprises was established.